Saturday 24 March 2007

It helps to have a sense of humour

I've said in the past that anyone who transitions had better have a sense of humour. It's a necessary survival skill.

With that in mind, I quote the Largo City Commissioners, who have just confirmed their initial, panicked decision.

From MSNBC:
City commissioners early Saturday finalized the firing of a city manager who is seeking a sex-change operation, despite pleas from dozens of impassioned supporters to save his job.

After a six-hour hearing, the commissioners decided to fire 48-year-old Steve Stanton after his announcement that he planned a new life as a woman. The move came after the commission voted 5-2 last month to suspend him with pay.

Commissioners contended Stanton was being fired because they lost confidence in him, not because he wants to be a woman.

“I think we’re pretty well convinced,” Commissioner Gay Gentry said. “You have to believe us, you have to trust us, it is not about transgenderism.”
I'm sorry, tears are rolling down my cheeks at that one.

Meanwhile, Stanton's plea for reinstatement, transition plan and "how to transition a work" documentation is available as a PDF File. I wish I would have had access to such a document 20 months ago, it's really well thought out, and a model for how to do it.

Too bad someone broke confidentiality to a newspaper, who published the whole thing a day before hey said they would. I'm sure the result was unexpected by them, most journalists have no idea of the persecution TS people usually go through.

I didn't, by the way. The firm I was contracting for could not have been more helpful, they went beyond the duties of a firm to an employee. I've had a Dream Run - and that's why I feel a duty to make it easier for others, if I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

``Too bad someone broke confidentiality to a newspaper, who published the whole thing a day before hey said they would. I'm sure the result was unexpected by them...''

You give the pressies too much credit. They don't care how much blood goes into the water if they think it will sell papers, and the current victim is just one more piece of shark bait.

Lloyd Flack said...

It is obvious that most of theLargo City Commisioners are sponges,

Sponges do not have a gut. The Largo City Commisioners are gutless. Hence, as so ably demonstrated by Monty Python and the Holy Grail on the subject of witches, the Largo City Commisioners are sponges. QED