Thursday 14 August 2014

Why blogging has been light recently

Woman burnt in Downer house fire June 2, 2014

A 56-year-old woman has suffered serious burns following a kitchen fire on Burn Street in Downer.
...
The woman was treated by intensive care paramedics at the scene of the fire and then transported to the Canberra Hospital.
The ESA spokeswoman said she was in a stable condition.

My face was never my fortune, and a few minor scars on the forehead won't make any difference to that. I lost all the skin on my face, but it grew back, and I still have lips, eyelids, nose etc, and looking not very different from before. A few patches on my arms were 3rd degree, but so small no skin grafts were needed.

I just get a bit cold now, much of my dermis on face and arms was destroyed, so there's less subcutaneous fat now, and this will take a year or two to get better.

No damage to lungs or airways. So no real long-term or life-changing effects.

It's taken me a few months to feel OK with blogging it though. I always was terrified of fire, and to be put in a position of having to stay and fight rather than being able to flee was traumatic. Then being warned by the nurses in the resuscitation unit of Canberra Hospital not to look in the mirror was, well, I thought that only happened in the movies.

But it was only for a short while that I looked like a Hiroshima survivor. Now back to normal, or near enough.

12 comments:

Grace said...

Thank heaven you're okay, Zoe. I'm sorry to hear what you've been through, and very, very glad to hear that the long-term effects will not be bad.

I hope that you heal as quickly as possible.

Grace

Unknown said...

How horrible for you! I'm glad you're firmly on the road to recovery.

Billie said...

So sorry to learn of your tragety, my prayers go out to you! Get well real quick!

Glenn Ingersoll said...

OW!

Sending you healing wishes and relaxation vibes.

Ashley W. said...

Oh that's awful. Glad to hear there's no long term damage though. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Jamie said...

It is good to know you are ok, that is a terrible experience. <3

Stig said...

Zoe,

So sorry to read about the fire. Hope you continue to mend steadily, with minimum scarring. Keeping you in my prayers.

Madeleine Townsend said...

Oh dear, how awful.

Hope you are well on the road to mending!

Best,

— Madeleine

Unknown said...

Get well.

Anonymous said...

So glad to know you're going to be okay Zoe.

- Nicole

Calie said...

So glad to hear you're OK. Take care, girl.

Calie xx

Unknown said...

I think you look just great. What I'm impressed with is the fact that you can talk about it. Anyway, hachlama mehira – get well soon.
Shira.