Friday 2 September 2005

Heartless "Progressivism"

From Blunderford over at the "Progressive" site Blogritics.org :
I just stopped at the grocery store to pick up a candy bar. They only had one line open, plus the do-it-yourself area where you have to play amateur cashier. I hate that do-it-yourself area, but the other line was too long so I used it.

After I managed to get the candy bar's bar code to fit perfectly over the little laser and figured out how the machine worked so I could waste twice the time it would normally take me to buy a candy bar, an employee approached me and said, "Would you like to give a dollar for Hurricane Katrina?"

I said, "No."

First off, I'm offended that the store employees are wandering around fundraising instead of helping customers, especially when it's so obvious that the store conglomerate uses these do-it-yourself machines to cut down on the number of employees necessary to help customers so that the store conglomerate can turn a larger profit while having fewer of those pesky union workers to deal with.

But beyond that, I'm sick of footing the bill for George W. Bush and the rest of his so-called compassionate conservatives.
And from the equally "Progressive" Joseph Cannon at BradBlog :
So why was I thinking of starting a movement against giving aid to the stricken areas?

Because these are red states. They voted for Bush. These ninnies obviously wanted these policies, and they deserve to live with the consequences of their votes.

A large part of me still believes that many of these W-worshipping numbskulls deserve to suffer and to die. They brought it on themselves. Let them look to Jayzuss for aid: It's time they stopped leeching off the more productive blue staters.

(Californians stupidly give much more to the federal government than we receive from it; the money flows in a very different direction in the red states.)

So, at least, I started to write. But then (to paraphrase the old song) I thought I'd better think it out again.

Many of the victims, the ones who have suffered the most, are poor. The hardest hit were the blue state folk living among the red state maniacs. New Orleans, we should note, went heavily for Kerry.

And that's why we must help. Although it was very tempting to say otherwise.
Not because they're poor, or human, but because they voted the right way.

Me? I'm with people like these.

And with Leftists like Skippy :
this is not about red states v. blue states...this is not about left v. right...this is not about liberal v. conservative...

the people in louisiana, mississippi and alabama are americans. this is about america. and americans have historically always rolled up their sleeves and pitched in to help out their fellow countrymen in need.

skippy has donated $100.01 to the red cross for hurricane relief. and now, skippy challenges everyone who writes a political blog, no matter what side of the spectrum they inhabit, to do the same.
I'm not american. But it's unlikely I'll earn enough this year to claim any tax back anyway for charitable donations, so I may as well put in my 2c. Plus $19.99

This will probably be the last credit card purchase ever made by "Alan Brain", as I'll be changing the name of the bank accounts etc shortly. And an appropriate last one too, he was a nice guy in many ways, however flawed.

2 comments:

The Pathetic Earthling said...

Zoe -

Don't think we Americans don't appreciate it. I'll stand you for a drink any time you find yourself in the Bay Area.

Best,
-Andrew

Zoe Brain said...

You would have done the same for us.

Come to think of it, when Canberra got Firestormed, quite a few Americans did chip in to help.

You know, we make a fine team, your country and mine.

As for the drink - well, if I ever win the lottery (my best plan so far for raising the $50,000 Aus needed for Facial Feminisation Surgery with Dr O in San Francisco), then I'll take you up on it.

BTW the offer is returned - if ever you and the Earthling clan are ever down Canberra way, I can show you some nice microbreweries and some if the 22-odd local wineries. One only about a mile waya from me at the moment.