Monday 16 October 2006

Electrolysis

It's like being stung by a bee. 40,000 times. Costing you 30c a sting.

But it's better than being the "bearded lady".

Some people see it as some sort of "rite of passage", a necessary evil that separates those who are strong enough to successfully transition from those who will pike out.

Personally, I think that's rubbish. I mean, they're only bee-stings, for goodness' sake. There are far worse problems, to do with one's marriage, one's family, one's children, important stuff. Very real health risks too with the hormones, liver failure, diabetes, deep vein thrombosis.

On the other hand, in terms of pain, yes, far worse than having a tooth extracted, something else I've had recently. Dearie, Dearie me, wisdom teeth are not supposed to start growing again. And a recent X-ray confirms that yes, another one is growing to replace one I had extracted about 10 years ago. Impacted, of course.

Oh well, if that's the worst of my problems, I've gotten off lightly. Still hurts though. Rite of Passage? Pshaw! I'm just lucky that IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) cleared away about 90% of the facial hair, so I only have about 4000 to deal with. Another 211 out today, that's nearly 1000 of them gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm unquestionably female, and I've been afflicted with abundant (and BLACK) facial hair since puberty. Did electrolysis for years - it's not permanent, at least not for me. I'd go once a month, and after about twelve years I'd got to the point where I'd have a clean face for about two weeks, then it would start coming back and we'd do it all over again.

Now I just get my face waxed, every two weeks. Cheaper, and it looks better for longer. It also helps that most of the stuff on my chin now is white, so it's not so visible.

On the other hand, I remember those hairy Islamoloony insurgents like Khalid Sheik Mohammed (was that his name?) and I think electrolysis might be just the ticket to make these guys talk. A bikini wax might be even better.

Zoe Brain said...

Hi Anna! My sympathies - it must have been hellish when you were in your teens.
You might try IPL if you still have dark hair - expensive, but it worked for me.
Have you been checked out for PCOS? I'd see a good endo anyway, they might be able to do something.
Hugs, Zoe