Thursday 3 July 2008

Today's Battle

Over at the Herald Sun newspaper. And a columnist who I delight to read, Andrew Bolt. I hope he reads the comments.

While I'm on (usually) Friendly Territory, a debate over at Darwin Central. Beating up the "unpassable" transgendered is anathema, but should we call them "ma'am" when they sport a full beard? A comedy of manners, or politically correct dishonesty? As far as I'm concerned, if they're attempting to present as female, they should be addressed as such. Reasonable people can differ though.

It's not often I get a chance to mention Olaf the Slime too, in the context of memorialising 10th century pagan martyrs (which I don't, worthy though they may be). It's not even usual for me to be called a single-minded Fanatic, either.

3 comments:

E said...

I had the misfortune of seeing an endo today (about my thyroid, not my fast receding-into-memory gender stuff) and he asked whether they removed the testicles when they do SRS. Yes, a real, live endocrinologist knows less than 99.9% of truck drivers and beauticians. Kind of makes you _not_ trust medical opinions a priori, doesn't it?

Lucrece said...

Zoe, darling, you look dashing on that new avatar picture. So sly~

nixwilliams said...

As far as I'm concerned, if they're attempting to present as female, they should be addressed as such.

yes, but even more so: if they say they identify as female or would prefer feminine pronouns and titles, respect their request.

also, OMG I KNEW I SHOULD NOT HAVE CLICKED THE LINK TO ANDREW BOLT'S RAVING. I HATE HIM SO MUCH.